Restoring the Iraq-Haifa Pipeline

(Jerusalem Post) Jessica Steinberg - The long-forgotten Haifa pipeline that once transported oil from Iraq to British Mandatory Palestine could be reopened to ship oil to Israel if a new government in Baghdad is pro-Western, according to local experts. "Once that pipeline is in place, it could save $3 to $4 a barrel in transportation costs," says Amit Mor, an energy consultant. At present, about 90% of Israel's oil is imported from the former Soviet Union via the Black Sea. The other 10% comes from Egypt, West Africa, and Mexico.

2003-08-18 00:00:00

Full Article


Visit the Daily Alert Archive